What-Cha's Discover Korea 2013 Green Tea & Bonus Tea Flowers


So I decided to write a little on What-Cha’s Discover Korean Green tea 2013 sampler, even though I am glad I bought each tea individually. Before I get into my thoughts on these teas I have to say how astonished I am at how well this tea holds up very well for greens that are over a year old. I was surprised at how much better these Korean greens were compared to other Korean greens I tried this year. I have something of a sordid love affair with Korean teas, I enjoy the flavors often found in Korean teas, but they never seem worth the price What-Cha’s teas are the exception for me.


Korea Jukro Jungjak 2013 Sparrow's Tongue 'Jakseol' Green Tea
Origin: Jukro Tea Company, Hwagae Valley, Hadong, Korea
Harvest: Jungjak (Third flush)
Temperature: 160oF (increasing five degrees each subsequent infusion)
Brewing Time: One Minute (plus an additional minute for each subsequent infusion)
Aroma: Grassy, Floral and Cooked Spinach
Flavor: Corn, Grassy, Buttery and Ocean Air


Tasting Notes: You can tell it was made with love and handpicked, definitely the star of the three. This tastes like a yasaeng-cha (wild tea). It had a nice mouthfeel, it doesn’t feel that different from the other two teas, but there is certainly something there that I can’t quite put my finger on. It reminds me a little of a Japanese green, but it still is distinctly Korean. This is the most complex of the three and is definitely worth the price. At the time of writing this it was being sold at $20.80 for 50g and is easily worth that price. While it is the tea I have the least to say, it is my favorite of the three. It is deceptively simple, I wasn’t that impressed with my first infusion, but in my second I started to recognize the various flavors in this tea.



Korea Dong Cheon Sejak 2013 Sparrow's Tongue 'Jakseol' Green Tea
Origin: Dong Cheon, Hwagae Valley, Hadong, Korea
Harvest: Sejak (Second flush)
Temperature: 140oF (increasing five degrees each subsequent infusion)
Brewing Time: One Minute (plus an additional minute for each subsequent infusion)
Aroma: Roasted Corn, Grassy and slight wildflower
Flavor: Corn, Grassy, Lightly Roasted and Woodsy




Tasting Notes: This was the first of the three Korean greens I tried and I was kind of surprised that a Sejak is less expensive than a Jungjak. Although it is a very nice tea, the Jungjak was made with more care, but I digress. I liked this tea. It might be the one I would pick the most out of the three. I am not often a fan of roasted and woodsy teas, but I found that this had a very nice roast on it. I got eight infusions out of the leaves before it started to lose flavor. I drank until the thirteenth infusion though, it still had some left in the leaves, but it had become very thin by then. At the time of writing this is sold for $17.60 for 50g and is worth the price.







Korea Dong Cheon Daejak 2013 Sparrow's Tongue 'Jakseol' Green Tea
Origin: Dong Cheon, Hwagae Valley, Hadong, Korea
Harvest: Daejak (Fourth flush)
Temperature: 158oF (increasing five degrees each subsequent infusion)
Brewing Time: One Minute (plus an additional minute for each subsequent infusion)
Aroma: Corn and Grassy
Flavor: Corn and Grassy




Tasting Notes: While it is the simplest of the three, it stays very nice and stays relatively the same in subsequent infusions. I got thirteen infusions out of this and was quite satisfied with it before it started to lose flavor. I stopped at the fifteenth infusion, it might have had more to give, but I had stuff to do and I can’t spend the whole day drinking tea (much to my chagrin). I generally like trying more complex teas whose flavors wax and wane, but this was very nice daily drinker. This is the kind of tea that you’ll never feel an overwhelming urge for, but it is the type of tea that you can drink whenever. I am not saying to avoid this tea, but it is a very subtle tea that is not the type to dazzle you initially, but is the type that you find you really enjoy the more you drink. It sort of reminds me of the person we all know who you overlook and not realize how close you are to. At the time of writing this it cost $9.20 for 50g and it is definitely worth the price, for this very modest price it is a very introduction to Korean greens, it isn’t something that will amaze you, but it will certainly be comfortable to drink.

Whenever I do these posts with multiple teas I always struggle a bit, especially when talking about favorites. I almost want to say each tea is my favorite, but the Daejak is a good everyday type of tea, whereas the Sejak is the sort of tea I’d enjoy serving to others and the Jungjak is the kind of tea I’d like to hoard and never share. I loved all three of these, but the Jungjak and the Daejak stood out the most, the Sejak just didn’t shine as brilliantly as the other two. These are very similar teas and perhaps that is why I am having trouble with them whereas I had no trouble with comparing Beautiful Taiwan Teas Milk Oolong to What-Cha’s. I’ll admit I felt a little stressed when writing this, since these have very similar flavors. I am glad I didn’t drink these back to back or else I might have missed some of the nuances in these teas.






Rah

Just a guy who likes tea.

0 comments: